At the IUF, several research groups are working on how environmental factors (ultraviolet radiation, air pollution, food chemicals) affect the physiology and pathophysiology of the different organs. The working group “Environmental epidemiology of lung, brain and skin aging” focuses on epidemiological aspects of air pollution-induced aging / chronic diseases of the lung, the brain and the skin. We are particularly interested in the complex interplay between these organs and in gene-environment interaction. Our studies are of global relevance and conducted not only in Germany, but also in other European as well as Asian countries.
The working group “Environmental epidemiology of lung, brain and skin aging” at the IUF – Leibniz Research Institute for Environmental Medicine in Düsseldorf is offering a
Environmental Epidemiologist Post-doc position (f/m/d)
The main duties will be performance of statistical analysis and interpretation of results, as well as presentation of these results at scientific conferences and meetings, and the writing of research papers and grant applications. The successful candidate (f/m/d) will be also responsible for the supervision of PhD- and master students.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Epidemiology, biostatistics, life sciences, medicine, public health, or equivalent
- Experience in epidemiological research in general and/or environmental epidemiology in particular
- In depth understanding of statistical analysis and profound hands-on experience in statistical analysis and epidemiological techniques as well as substantial experience in working with statistical software (SAS or R)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES
- Positive can-do attitude, responsible and responsive, and trustworthiness
- Self-motivated, highly organized, meticulous hands-on habits, keen to accuracy, and attention to detail
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information
- Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace. Competent of high performance in independent work and coordinated efforts in implementing group projects
- A strong interest in epidemiological research in general and environmental epidemiology in particular
- Evaluate results, analyze and interpret data to prepare project updates, meeting presentations and research reports for documentation and writing scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- First experiences in supervising students are advantageous
The position is limited for 2 years with the option of a permanent position. The weekly working time totals 39 hours and 50 minutes. Renumeration is given in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement for the employees of the states (TV-L). Salary will be according to TV-L (E13).
Please address your application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, references, qualification certificates), preferably electronically to Bewerbung@IUF-Duesseldorf.de:
Dr. Tamara Schikowski
IUF – Leibniz-Institut für umweltmedizinische Forschung
Auf’m Hennekamp 50
Application documents submitted by post are not returned. Documents for applicants not considered are destroyed appropriately once the procedure is complete.